Marrying a German: The Fiancée Visa

You met an interesting man from Germany, your relationship developed and you decided to formalize your relationship? First of all, please accept our congratulations and wishes for happiness! In this article, we will try to explain to you what the next steps are:

  • what type of visa should you apply for, according to your purpose, at the German diplomatic mission in your country;
  • what is a bride visa;
  • how it differs from a visa for spousal reunification is that it is a visa for a specific purpose.

What type of visa do you need?

Citizens of the Russian Federation, the Republic of Belarus and the Republic of Kazakhstan need an entry visa to travel to Germany. Ukrainian citizens with a biometric passport can enter Germany for a period not exceeding 90 days without a visa.

There are two types of visas: Schengen visas and national visas. Schengen visas allow you to travel to Germany and Schengen countries (the period of stay shall not exceed 90 days), but they do not provide grounds for a long stay or residence in Germany. For a long stay or residence in Germany, it is necessary to open a national visa. The reasons for obtaining a national visa may be different. For example, employment, job search, studies, marriage, reunification with a spouse, etc.

Marriage Visa or Spousal Visa

If you are planning to marry a German citizen, the appropriate national visa types are a visa for marriage in Germany or a visa for reunification with your spouse. The main difference between a marriage visa and a family reunification visa is whether the marriage is to be concluded in the country of origin of the applicants or in the country of destination of the applicants. If the couple choose to register their marriage in the country of the bride (one of the Eastern European countries) and then reside permanently in Germany (the groom’s country of origin), they will apply for a German visa for the purpose of family reunification after conclusion of their marriage. If the marriage is to be registered in Germany and the couple plans to reside permanently in Germany after the registration of the relationship, the bride must apply for a marriage visa in order to enter the country.

Proof of German language skills

In our blog articles we have often mentioned the need to learn German already at the dating stage (i.e. before you have met your match). Why is it so important? In order to obtain a fiancée visa or a visa to reunite with your spouse, an official certificate of proficiency in German Level A1 must be presented to the German diplomatic mission, among other documents. Level A1 is the first level of German. There is no doubt that you will have no difficulty passing this examination. However, if you have not studied German before and are starting from scratch, it may take a long time to study for the exam, and the date of your move will depend on when you successfully pass the exam.

Documents needed to apply for a fiancée visa

You can find a list of documents required for applying for a fiancée visa or a visa for reuniting with your spouse on the official website of the German embassy or consulate in your country. When preparing documents, we do not advise to rely on information given in unofficial sources (forums, blogs, etc.). Refer to the official information of the German embassy or consulate in your country.

Bridal visas and residency permits

A fiancée’s visa will allow you to enter Germany and marry legally. Once you are married in Germany, you must apply to the Ausländerbehörde (foreigners’ office) in your place of residence for a residence permit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join the Best Dating Community

Join now and find your Life Partner!

Developed by (c) MeetKing 2022 Team